Couple of issues

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Hi - firstly, thanks for this great module - it was a badly-needed contribution to the Orchard community (I'd even started making my own, but hadn't got much further than duplicating the Blog module and renaming everything to ImageGallery!)

I just wanted to let you know about a couple of issues I had so far with 1.0.1;

- When I changed the "thumbnail size" property on my gallery, the thumbnails end up blurry (even when the image was uploaded *after* changing the size); so I think the cache size isn't coming correctly from those settings

- If I click "Edit" on the gallery after logging in, it takes me to edit the content part. Obviously this makes sense; but it would be nice if there was a link from there to the gallery, if you quickly want to add files; or even a command next to "Edit" that said "Manage Images" or something similar.

But otherwise I think this module is pretty much perfect and in my opinion you deserve to win the contest for it, good luck!

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Hello!

Thank you very much for your feedback. I guess the blur is occurring because the thumbnail size doesn't keep the aspect ratio of the image. I can take a look at that. Could you tell me the original size of your image and the thumbnail size you have set up?

The link to image gallery on edit is a wonderful suggestion! I'll add to my backlog. Sure it will be an implemented feature on the next release.

Thanks again! By the way, I need to make a website demonstrating the image gallery module for the contents. If you have a theme suggestion for it, I would be grateful ;-)

Gabriel

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

That's great to hear. My original image was 2048x1152. I set the thumbnail size to 300x200 and the blur was very noticable. Then I reduced to 150x100 and it still looked a bit blurry. Finally I tested reducing it back to 100x100 and the image is horizontally squashed, but crisper!

The very large size of the image produced another problem, that when Lightbox zooms it in, it covers the whole website and you have to use scrollbars. I wonder would it be good to have a "Maximum Width" and "Maximum Height" option also on the gallery, to scale it down to fit the page layout. It'd be nice to still store the original full-sized version as well so the gallery could have a "download original" option.

I don't know if the competition precludes you accepting code submissions, but I'm happy to help out. I've got some image cache handling code from another project that could be useful.

Not sure what to suggest for your website but I'll have a think. I'm using the gallery in a site which will go live soon but I'm not sure when!

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Hi again,

After some more testing I've seen thumbnails correctly generated at 300x200. However they look maybe as though the JPEG quality is a bit low, have you set the quality parameter when you save the thumbnails? Images are definitely appearing stretched however if they're not at the same aspect ratio as the thumbnail size.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Hi,

There is a alpha release addressing some of these issues. The new features are:

• A new thumbnail back end, improving the thumbnail image quality.
  • From the image gallery properties, the user now can choose to keep the aspect ratio of the images when creating the thumbnails.

Please take a look and share your thoughts ;-)

Your feedback is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Gabriel

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Hi Gabriel, I tested the alpha and the thumbnails look great now :)

I had an idea for your demo site, basically to go with an Orchard-y theme and do a site about pictures of orchards, woods, forests, etc. maybe with details about woods you can go and visit, public rights of way and walks you can go on, that sort of thing. Don't know if it's that good an idea or maybe a bit complex but there you go!

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Hey good to hear the module is better now. I have a couple of features to add before launching version 1.1. This alpha was specially for you =D

Thanks for the idea. I`ll add to my brainstorm list.

If you have the time, I ask you to rate the module on Orchard gallery ;-)

Gabriel